Thursday, July 21, 2011

Training and self-control?

My friend is a karate-ka and his school trains full contact with no gear. There is this individual that is a fellow student that, according to him, lacks self-control with his techniques. On numerous occasions he has hit my friend in the face and though many times it's been an accident, my friend fears that his lack of self-control could potentially hurt the younger students as sometimes the instructors will spar with them. By young I mean individuals from the ages of 12 to 16. Now, recently, this guy broke my friend's nose. The reason why I tell you this is because I asked him if this could go against the guy when he goes to test for his second degree black belt. He said it might not because his kyoshi teaches things for real life situations. I feel that, as a martial artist, there is more to martial arts than just being able to hurt people. My question: Should this guy be allowed to test for his second degree?

No comments:

Post a Comment